News

Makinde: Seven Teachers Abducted in Ogbomoso School Attack, One Killed in Captivity

Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, has disclosed that one of the teachers abducted during the recent attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state has been killed while in captivity.

Speaking during a press briefing on Sunday, Makinde described the situation as difficult and challenging, assuring residents that the government was intensifying efforts to rescue the remaining victims.

The attack occurred on Friday when armed men riding motorcycles stormed communities within the Ahoro-Esiele and Yawota axis of Oriire in Ogbomoso, abducting students and staff members from Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, L.A. Primary School, Esiele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.

The incident also claimed the lives of an assistant headmaster, identified as Joel Adesiyan, and a commercial motorcyclist.

Makinde revealed that seven teachers were abducted during the attack, adding that a video received by the state government confirmed the killing of one of the victims, a mathematics teacher.

“What we know is that seven teachers in all were abducted and unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers, the maths teacher, was killed by the terrorists,” the governor said.

Authorities are yet to confirm the exact number of schoolchildren abducted in the incident.

In the wake of the attack, videos reportedly recorded in captivity surfaced online, showing abducted teachers appealing to the government and Nigerians for urgent intervention.

One of the videos featured Rachael Alamu, principal of Community High School, Esiele, pleading for assistance to secure the release of the victims before more lives are lost.

The governor also disclosed that six persons had been arrested in the affected community over suspected links to the attackers, while three additional persons of interest were being investigated.

According to him, security agencies believe some of the suspects may have acted as informants or provided logistics support to the terrorists.

Security Operatives Injured During Rescue Efforts

Makinde said security personnel, including the police, military, operatives of the Western Nigeria Security Network, codenamed Amotekun, and local hunters, were immediately mobilised to trail the attackers.

However, some Amotekun operatives sustained injuries after encountering improvised explosive devices allegedly planted by the attackers during the rescue mission.

He explained that the operatives ran into the explosives while pursuing the gunmen, leaving some personnel wounded and requiring medical attention.

Terrorists Moving Southward, Makinde Warns

The governor linked the attack to intensified military pressure on insurgents in Nigeria’s North-East, warning that fleeing terrorist groups were beginning to move into other regions, including the South-West.

He said increased pressure in one region could force criminal elements to relocate, stressing the need for preparedness to repel or neutralise such threats.

Makinde also emphasised the need for sustained security presence in vulnerable communities, warning that temporary military operations without long-term security measures could expose residents to renewed attacks.

He assured residents that both military and non-military strategies would be deployed to secure the release of the abducted victims and address the growing insecurity.

The governor appealed for calm and patience, acknowledging the complexity of the operation and promising that the government was doing everything possible to ensure the safe return of the victims.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *